Breast reduction surgery is a life-changing procedure that can significantly improve your health and happiness, says Bapras. Many women who have large and heavy breasts experience pain and rashes on a regular basis. Not to mention the fact that normal activities such as exercise and certain types of clothing are not an option for them.
If you have been considering breast reduction surgery for some time now, here are a few signs that it’s time to schedule your procedure.
Signs You Should Schedule Your Breast Reduction
- You’re doing this for yourself
If you want to undergo a breast reduction for yourself and not because someone else has pressured you into doing it, it’s safe to schedule your procedure. A surgery of this nature should be for your benefit and not to make someone else happy.
- Your breasts are affecting your quality of life
Every woman has a slightly different reason for wanting this surgery. If you are tired of dealing with back and shoulder pain, rashes under your breasts and unwanted stares, it’s time to schedule your breast reduction surgery. Your breasts should never stop you from living the life you want to and if this is the case, it’s time to consult with a surgeon.
- You have realistic expectations
Breast surgery specialist, Dr Rodney Cooter says that setting realistic expectations is incredibly important before you consider scheduling your procedure. If you’ve had an in-depth conversation with your surgeon about the risks and possible results of your breast reduction surgery and feel that you know what to expect, it’s safe to schedule your surgery.
- You are mentally prepared for the procedure
While you are definitely going to have more confidence and a better quality of life after breast reduction surgery, it’s not going to fix your relationships or your career. It’s essential that you are mentally prepared for a procedure of this nature. What are your reasons for wanting to reduce the size of your breasts and do you have the support you need to get through this procedure? If you are doing this for the right reasons and have a support system in place, it’s safe to schedule your surgery.
Choosing a Breast Reduction Expert
There are several important things to consider when evaluating a potential breast reduction surgeon.
- Board certification. You should only be consulting with surgeons who are board-certified as this increases your chances of achieving great results. If the surgeon’s website doesn’t offer this information, feel free to ask for proof of a board certification during your consultation.
- Experience and Training. Does your surgeon have a proven track record? What training have they undergone that makes them qualified to perform a breast reduction? Again, feel free to ask questions about their experience and training during your consultation. You should feel comfortable with how long your surgeon has been practicing.
- Patient Testimonials. What do past patients have to say about their experience with your surgeon and are there any before and after photos that you can look through? If it’s not readily available, ask your surgeon for photos and referrals – you have every right to.
- Communication Style. How you feel around a surgeon during your consultation is also something you should consider when deciding whether someone is right for you. Are they able to answer all of your questions and are they pressuring you to schedule your surgery? You should feel completely comfortable and confident with the person who will be assisting you with such a significant change. You may also want to find out more about the post-surgery assistance you can expect to receive in the event that you have questions or concerns.
There is absolutely no need to rush when choosing a surgeon for your breast reduction. This is one of the most important decisions you will make during this process, so take your time.
For those in the UK, you may wish to read this article here – https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/breast-reduction-on-the-nhs/.