Just like natural teeth, you need to clean and take care of your dentures every day.
There are ingredients in your cupboard at home that can do a great job at cleaning your dentures, without chemicals, and for a fraction of the cost.
It is always a good idea to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and wherever you buy your dentures in Sarnia (http://www.lambtonfamilydental.com/dentures/) can advise you on the best way to care for your dentures.
- Remember to rinse away any food particles and gently remove denture adhesive before cleaning.
- Dentures should also be placed in water or a solution when not in use, to keep them from losing their shape and to prevent them from drying out.
Here are our picks for the best homemade denture cleaner:
It is no secret that vinegar does an excellent job at cleaning just about anything. It degreases, deodorizes and polishes surfaces all without harmful chemical cleaners.
Vinegar can also work wonders on your dentures, according to ThriftyFun. It will get them clean and kill off harmful bacteria that can cause unpleasant odours.
Make a solution of equal parts white vinegar and water in a glass. Rinse and brush your dentures and then place them into the glass to soak overnight. Be sure the liquid covers them completely. Rinse your dentures well the next day.
Baking soda is a great natural and cost-effective cleaner. It is a great deodorizer and mild abrasive that can help gently scrub away surface stains.
To use as a denture cleaner, make a solution of 2 teaspoons baking soda and a little water in a glass – just enough the dissolve the soda and cover your dentures. Let them soak overnight and rinse well the next day.
- Pro tip: Add a little hydrogen peroxide instead of water to the baking soda solution for a deep denture clean.
Not only good in a martini, but vodka can also help keep your dentures clean and sparkling (https://healthfully.com/home-recipes-for-products-to-clean-and-soak-dentures-5247888.html). Don’t feel like you need to use the best. A cheap brand of vodka will do nicely.
Place enough vodka in a jar with a large mouth to cover your dentures, and let them soak overnight. If you use a lid, you can reuse the vodka multiple times. Rinse well the next morning.
Dentures can also be safely cleaned with warm water and a mild soap such as a hand soap or dishwashing liquid. Use a toothbrush with the soap to gently brush away food particles and stains. Be sure to rinse well.
You can also use regular toothpaste to gently clean your dentures and then put them to soak in a glass of water overnight. Stay away from whitening kinds of toothpaste, or ones with harsh abrasives. They can damage your dentures.
Things to Avoid:
- Stay away from hot or boiling water – it could warp the shape of your dentures
- Avoid using any bleach or household cleaners – these can weaken your dentures and change the colour. Bleach can also damage any metal parts of your dentures.
- Avoid using harsh abrasives or cleaning tools – stiff-bristled brushes and strong cleaners can damage your dentures.
Using these simple household ingredients you can keep your dentures clean, and looking fresh.