Do you have stuff piling up everywhere in your home to the point where you feel like there is not enough storage to put everything away?
We know that you’re not alone in these thoughts and also that you paid a premium for every square foot of your home, so why not take advantage of it by using a closet organization system.
Here are a few of the elements we feel are critical to a well-functioning closet to get the gears turning in your mind.
- Start by sorting through everything you have stored in your closet. As daunting as this may seem, we have found the best way is to pull every article of clothing and other items in the closet and place them on your bed, or at least all that will fit there. Do this early in the morning, so you have time to go through it before going back to sleep that night, but this will force you to go through everything as you need somewhere to sleep! Once you have everything out, go item by item, and make one of three decisions: Keep, Store, Discard/Donate. The storage items do not go back in the closet, period. It can be kept in the attic or a storage unit, but it does not go back in the place that you are in every day. The other two options are pretty self-explanatory. Once you have only the items you need going back into your closet, we can now begin to decide what design will be used to accommodate the things you have decided to keep.
- Lighting is key. If you do not have natural light coming into the room, placing lighting in the ceiling or within the cabinets themselves will ensure that everything you have is visible, and nothing gets lost.
- Did you remember the mirror? Make sure that you incorporate a full-length mirror into the design of your new space.
- Square footage, not an issue. If you have room, an island in the middle of your closet is a great addition that can take the place of a dresser while doubling as a place to fold or layout your clothes when deciding what to wear or pack.
- Struggling to get your shoes on? Make sure to include a built-in bench or account for a chair being in the room to allow you to sit while getting ready for the night out.
- Your first thought may be how to organize your clothes, but a shoe organizer is critical to decluttering your space while also preserving your shoes. You can now proudly display your collection of high heels or Air Jordan’s in a way that every neighbor will envy.
Top Shelf Closet Organization systems are custom designed to meet each customer’s needs. We do all of our design in house, as well as manufacturing and installation right here in Wilmington, NC. This means we can fit even the most awkward of spaces to ensure you maximize the area you have. By following our process, we know that you’ll be rewarded with storage space that will provide years of functionality and style. If all of this seems a bit overwhelming, let one of our design consultants help you with your unique custom closets design by contacting us today.