Almost everyone spends their entire adult life working. Therefore, it is so important you find a job you are happy with. Pursuing a career in technology is fulfilling because you know you are working on developing solutions that will be applicable for decades to come. There are so many benefits to pursuing such a career and the good news is that there are so many ways of getting into a career in technology. Below, we will look at how you can use your associate degree to get your career in technology going. We will also look at why you should pursue such a career.
Bridging the Gap
An associate degree is different in several ways:
- It can be used as a bridge between high school and college.
- It can give you an insight into the professional world and prepare you for college.
- It can introduce you to college-level academic work so you know what to expect once you join college.
You can also join an associate of arts online program later in life when you have the opportunity. Most of these programs only require that you have your GED. Since these are online programs, you can keep working while you earn your degree. Once you are done, you will get an opportunity to go into different careers, including one in technology.
A Focus on Technology
Most Associate of Arts online degrees have a technology component to them. This might be teaching students the tools they will need once they are in college and in their professional careers.
If you want something specific, you can pursue an associate in information technology degree. This degree helps prepare students for a career in technology. It teaches them information technology systems and concepts so they have a better grasp of the skills they need to create and support such systems.
Once you graduate, you can either use your credits to get a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science degree.
Why You Should Pursue a Career in Technology
There are many reasons why you should pursue a career in technology. Below are some of the most compelling ones:
- The number of IT and computer jobs have been increasing rapidly over the past few years and this trend is likely to continue into the foreseeable future. Also, this segment is growing faster than most other job segments as more companies and businesses turn to technology to solve some of their needs and plan for the future.
- You will be well compensated. Jobs in the technology sector often pay better than jobs in other sectors. If you advance your career and land a management job, chances are that you will be paid more than other people in managerial positions in other industries.
- Flexibility. Even if you are likely to get a generous salary when you are employed in a tech position, you likely value flexibility and work-life balance. Most computer and IT job positions afford employees excellent work-life balance.
- Career advancement. So many areas and niches are opening up for IT and computer science professionals. These include areas such as artificial intelligence and machine learning. If you are not strictly a computer scientist but would like to get on this career path, you can still do it with an associate degree. Some paths have already been laid down for you to follow.
- Work in almost any industry. Besides the flexibility discussed above, technology professionals are not boxed into one industry. They can work anywhere their skills are required. They can pursue a career in entertainment, finance, the government, health care and so many other areas.
- You do not need a bachelor’s degree. Many companies are starting to value skills over degrees. They are looking for talented individuals who can get the job done. Even if the job calls for some college experience, you can still use your associate of art degree to land these jobs. All you have to do is demonstrate that you have the skills required for the job and you will increase your chances of being hired.
Getting an associate of arts degree opens up so many opportunities, and a career in technology is one such option. Remember that this is a basic degree that prepares you for college and professional life, and where you go after you are done with the degree is up to you. That said, a career in technology is one of the most lucrative options when you consider the potential salary, career options, flexibility, and advancement opportunities.