A lot has changed over the last few months, and many high school students have had to share their prom dresses, and suits over Tik Tok, instead of the highly anticipated outfit reveal. The way we celebrate has certainly been different this year, and we’ve learned that it’s all about adaptability: those who had planned to dance the night away with their friends on prom night, instead connected through streaming services and online hubs.
Those who were really excited to show off their outfits have taken to creating their very own version of the famous Grammys Glambot, rigging cameras to the ceiling and posing in slow motion. The use of inventiveness and creativity is something to be celebrated in itself, and that’s definitely something to remember when preparing for prom.
Whether you’re working ahead of time to make sure next year’s prom is amazing, or if you’re still waiting to hear if your prom will go ahead this year, here are some tips on how to make the most out of it:
Prom Night Dos
- Make a schedule. Even if it’s just a loose plan, it’s a good idea to know what you’re going to do and when. That way, you’ll be less likely to procrastinate about getting ready, or waste time focusing on small details that you don’t need to worry about. This plan may include putting on your outfit and any accessories you’ve chosen, hair and make-up (if you’re wearing any!), making sure you eat well before you leave and planning how you’re going to get home at the end of the night.
- Prepare a bag. This could be a cute rucksack that matches your outfit, clutch, fanny pack, over-the-shoulder purse or whatever suits your taste. Make sure you’ve got your phone, keys, wallet, a mini-deodorant, a mirror and make-up if you think you’ll want to top up, and band-aids, in case you dance your way out of those shoes!
- Take plenty of photos, but live in the moment! This night is one to remember, so make sure you take lots of photos with all of your favourite people. Make sure you take plenty of pictures of you and your friends in their prom dresses and suits before the prom starts, so you aren’t wasting time once you’re there. The night will pass in the blink of an eye, so mingle, chat, dance and enjoy yourself!
- Stay safe. Be sure to stay with your group at all times when you’re not inside the venue. And, if you go off in a smaller group, keep an eye on your other friends, just to be safe. There’s no harm in making sure that you and all of your pals are safe and having a great time!
Prom Night Don’ts
- Overthink the details. You’ve already picked out your dream prom dresses and suits, so you already know how you and your friends are going to look! As long as you make sure you arrive at prom in plenty of time, there’s nothing else to plan for. Your school has already organized everything for you.
- Choose the wrong outfit for the weather. As we all know, the US is prone to a wide range of weather conditions, so it’s good to prepare for everything that your region may experience! If you live in a hot area, choose breathable fabrics. Heavy fabrics will make you hot and sweaty, especially if you’re dancing. If it’s humid and you have fine hair, consider an updo so that your hair doesn’t droop. Thicker hair may require frizz eliminator or smoothing oil products. A successful prom hairstyle is all about planning ahead!
- Stress! This night is supposed to be all about having fun, so if any small logistics don’t exactly go to plan, don’t let them ruin your night. If you discover a pimple the morning of prom or realize you’ve run out of your favorite lip balm, there are worse things that can happen! Just relax, stay with your friends (and your date, if you have one!) and enjoy your night.
The main thing to remember about prom night is that it’s all about fun. You should feel classy, glamorous, and beautiful in your prom dress, and look back on it as a night to remember!