Five Things That Every Dog Owner Needs (And One You Can Get Rid of)

a puppy lying down

When you get a dog, you don’t just get four legs, floppy ears, and a wet nose; you get all sorts of canine supplies as well. Food, bowls, treats, and toys are givens, but there is other doggie gear that might not be on your radar.

Stocking up on these supplies can make pet ownership a lot easier. So, what items is your home begging for? Perhaps some of the following:

Fur Remediation Equipment: Not all dogs shed, but those that do tend to shed so often it feels like you could make an entire line of winter sweaters from their summer coat. Certain breeds (like labs and blue heelers) are notorious for parting with their beautiful tresses. One second the fur is on their head, the next it’s all over your sofa.

The only way to avoid clumps of hair altogether is to get a breed that doesn’t shed (such as a poodle or Maltese). But, if you do have a breed that’s prone to parting with its coat, specific grooming techniques might help (such as using brushes designed to pull fur from the dog’s body). They won’t eliminate shedding entirely, so make sure you buy something that can remove fur from your black work slacks and Lazy Boy recliner. A lint roller tends to work well, especially the washable kind that don’t require you to reload with rolls of tape.

Dog Bed: Buying a dog bed might be wishful thinking; there’s a strong possibility that your dog will end up on your bed, hogging 90% of the mattress while it generously allows you to squish into the other 10%. A dog bed can’t hurt though and buying one might teach Fido that its bed is “good” and your bed is “bad.”

Even if your dog doesn’t sleep in its bed at night, it might use the bed during the day. This is especially helpful if you have an eighty-pound mutt that tends to mistake itself for a lap dog. It’ll stay off of the sofa and out of your way.

A Carpet Shampooer: If you decide to adopt a puppy, a carpet shampooer is more of a necessity than a luxury: it takes the average puppy 4-6 months to be housebroken (although certain breeds may take up to a year).

Of course, messes aren’t limited to the young; accidents happen. Older dogs may make a mess as they deal with incontinence and arthritis while any dog may soil the carpet when placed in new environments where they are uncertain or scared.

Throw Rugs: Throw rugs might not be a necessity if your home is well-carpeted. But if you live in a house with lots of hardwood floors, rugs can help keep your pet from slipping and sliding all over. Many dogs, especially older ones, have a hard time gaining traction on these types of surfaces. If throw rugs don’t do the trick, consider putting your dog in gripping booties. Not only will it enjoy better mobility but it’ll be fashionable as well.

A Portrait Painting: Sure, your pet can live a fine and happy life without a picture of themselves hanging from the wall, but why not add a little doggie décor to glam things up? A dog portrait painting is the perfect way to show off your love for Lucky or Lucy. The painting can be hung in any room of the house – the kitchen, the bedroom, or smack dab in the middle of the living room where it can serve as the cutest conversation piece ever.

So, now that you’re a dog owner, what’s the one item you can do without? An alarm clock! You no longer need a monotonous tone blaring in your ear and rousing you from rest. As soon as the sun’s up, your dog will make sure you are as well.

Comments

0 comments

Log In

Forgot password?

Forgot password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Log in

Privacy Policy

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.