Studying for an MBA can be incredibly beneficial to your professional and personal development. But with lockdown in full swing, you might be facing a hurdle when it comes to obtaining your degree. For most students, the best way forward is to start or continue studying for their master’s online.
This way, you can still move through the course from the comfort and safety of home instead of waiting for government restrictions to change. Even in a world without pandemics, studying online has many benefits. However, it takes a fair bit of discipline, motivation, and time-management skills to stay on track.
With this in mind, let’s take a look at 5 MBA study tips to help you get the most out of your course during lockdown.
How do you know whether you’ve chosen the right MBA course? One way is to check the university’s accreditations. This will help you determine their quality standards. It’s also a good idea to look into the concentrations, as they can vary across institutions. Naturally, you’ll want to study what takes you into the specific field you’re looking to enter.
For example, these online MBA programs California offer four distinct paths, namely finance, marketing, location analytics, and general business. The way their online learning environment is set up is worth consideration as well.
When deadlines are looming and distractions abound, your ability to stay focused on the main goal can make-or-break your success. Take a look at the big picture and note down the reasons why you chose to pursue an MBA.
Using the SMART goal-setting method can help. Here’s an example:
- Specific: This can refer to a chapter or task, such as reading through a certain amount of material.
- Measurable or Meaningful: How will you see your progress?
- Acceptable or Attainable: Do the goals align with your standards? Aim to exceed those set by the course.
- Realistic: You don’t want to push yourself too hard, as this will result in burnout. Keep it doable.
- Timely: Lay out deadlines and aim to stick with them. Perhaps you can reward yourself when reaching one.
The idea is to narrow down your main goal into actionable steps. This way, you always know what to do next.
Organize Your Space
Studying at home can make it tempting to laze around in bed or on the couch with your laptop. As comfortable as that might be, it’s not conducive to productivity. Try to set up your own “home office” type environment, with a desk and ergonomic chair. This will not only help you stay focused, but also maintain your posture and prevent back pain.
These are difficult times and spending so many hours alone has noticeable effects on mood and motivation. Here are some ways to stay positive while studying for your MBA:
- Keep your workspace free from clutter. A plant or succulent can boost your mood and freshen up the air.
- Avoid reading too much news.
- Remember the purpose of your studies.
- Take frequent breaks and if possible, spend some time outside in nature.
Prioritize Your Health
Studying during lockdown can reduce your inclination to stay fit and healthy. However, now is a more important time than ever to focus on your physical and mental well-being. A healthy mind and body is a productive one. Taking care of yourself will help you breeze through your studies at a steady and effortless pace.
Following are some ways to stay healthy without having to leave the house:
- Proper diet: Focus on cooking your own clean and healthy meals instead of buying processed foods and takeaways. Try to avoid snacking and spend some time ensuring that your body is getting all the necessary nutrients. Drinking less sugary beverages and sticking to water, tea or black coffee is a good idea.
- Sleep schedule: Getting enough shuteye every night is key to mental and physical performance. It affects your mood, concentration and overall psychological wellbeing. Optimizing your bedroom for sleep and avoiding electronics before bed will help.
- Exercise: You might not be able to head outside, but you can still stay fit and active by participating in guided yoga or bodyweight exercises. If you’re willing to spend some cash, you can always pick up a set of dumbbells and some additional workout equipment to keep you going.
One more thing – don’t forget about the value of maintaining social connections. This is especially important now, so be sure to stay in touch with family and friends on a regular basis. Aside from that, it’s all about staying healthy and motivated. Get this right and you’ll study like a pro.