In honor of the New Year 2020, we’ve put together a list of 20 of the best self-publishing companies for authors. Most of the other lists of best self-publishing companies on the web are either inaccurate or several years old or both, so a major focus of this article is to supply you with an accurate list of active self-publishing companies that you can actually refer to during your decision making process.
Most of our list consists of companies offering full-service publishing, but a couple options are considered do-it-yourself, meaning authors just upload their print-ready files (designed and edited by the author) to those particular companies and those DIY companies print the book and provide some distribution. The DIY self-publishing company options carry a vast learning curve even for tech-savvy individuals and are certainly not generally recommended for authors who do not possess an entrepreneurial spirit or mindset.
Therefore, the central purpose of this article is to explore full-service self-publishing companies that provide assistance in areas such as book design, editing, layout, printing, distribution, ebook, marketing, publicity and more. Some people call this form of publishing “assisted self-publishing” or “full-service self-publishing” or even “independent” or “hybrid” publishing, but all those labels represent the same thing: a turn-key self-publishing solution–the type of solution that most aspiring self-publishing authors are searching for nowadays.
After all, most new authors, and even many seasoned authors, would rather not have to design their own book cover, perform their own editing, find their own printer and distributor and then do all their own marketing and publicity to boot. It’s much easier, although a bit more expensive, to team up with a full-service self-publishing company to handle all those items.
Without Further Ado, Here’s the List of 20 Best Self-Publishing Companies
- Mindstir Media offers a full suite of self-publishing services, but the piece that makes Mindstir’s publishing service packages completely unique is the mentoring that authors receive from a #1 bestselling author as part of those packages. No other company on the list provides ongoing mentoring or advice from a bestselling author.
- Xlibris is one of the largest book self-publishing companies.
- AuthorHouse has been operating for over 20 years and has published over 100,000 books.
- iUniverse is an assisted self-publishing company founded on traditional publishing roots.
- Mill City Press was founded by a self-publishing author and therefore focuses on being as author-friendly or author-centric as possible.
- BookBaby is a well-respected self-publishing company guaranteeing the satisfaction of its authors.
- Aventine Press touts themselves as a fast, easy and affordable self-publishing option.
- Trafford is a complete approach to independent publishing.
- Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) is the do-it-yourself (DIY) self-publishing service by Amazon. Authors upload their fully designed and edited files directly to the company. KDP does not render any sort of book design, editorial, or marketing services. Authors must handle those items themselves or hire another company. NOTE: Createspace, once a fine DIY option, recently merged with Kindle Direct Publishing.
- Outskirts Press gives authors their own team of US-based publishing professionals.
- Infinity Publishing has been around since 1997 and has served over 7,000 authors.
- Bookstand Publishing is known for its basic self-publishing service packages and is a good pick for budget-minded authors.
- Morris Publishing mostly handles short-run printing for self-published authors.
- Wheatmark allows authors to publish their book, their way.
- Xulon Press is a Christian self-publishing company. They are primarily interested in publishing faith-based books.
- Word Association Publishers is a full-service publisher that supplies authors with self-publishing services on a la carte basis.
- FriesenPress is Canada’s largest self-publishing service provider.
- Wasteland Press gives authors only basic publishing options but their pricing is also some of the cheapest.
- Bethany Press is a Christian self-publishing company.
- Blurb specializes in printing high-quality photo books, magazines, but they also help print trade books. They are generally a do-it-yourself (DIY) self-publishing printing option in that clients upload their print-ready files directly to Blurb. Blurb then prints copies based on those files and offers some distribution, but they don’t provide full-service design, editorial or marketing. All of those duties fall on the shoulders of its authors.