All living creatures, including dogs, age as they get older. With body aging, they also have their bone structures and tissues age as well. Most owners decide to wait for their dogs to get arthritis before they give them joint supplements from the market. However, you could also give your dog supplements from a very early age to strengthen their bones and help them live without pain when they are all grown up. In this article, we bring you the 14 best joint supplements for dogs, suggested by a vet, that will help in keeping their joints healthy.
Firstly, what is arthritis?
Arthritis is an inflammation in the joints that may cause a lot of pain and stiffness in the joints for your dogs. This occurs when the cartilage within a joint gets damaged, affecting the mobility of the bones and also making them rub to one another. This rubbing is what causes your furry friend all the pain they suffer and may also cause it more pain as the cartilage continues to get damaged. Continued fractions of the bones may result in the formation of more bone structures in the joint causing increased stiffness and a disease which is known as degenerative joint disease.
How can dog joint supplements help your dog?
When a dog ages, they lose their ability to create more healthy cartilage in their joints. Supplements help in keeping the cartilage healthy as well as promote the overall health of the joints. Aging is normal for all dogs and their body is supposed to get weaker with time, therefore joint problems are bound to come. Supplements however do not cure joint issues and can be considered to be preventative measures only. It is best to give your dogs a supplement early on so that their joints stay in good health at all times and future joint aches can be avoided.
Joint supplements for your dog:
Before we continue with the list, something that we need to remember is that supplements that work on one dog might not work on another. Nevertheless, here is a list of the best joint supplements for your dog.
- Nutramax’s Cosequin Maximum Strength Joint Supplement Plus MSM with Glucosamine and Chondroitin: This product by Nutramax has been proven by vets to help in reducing joint inflammation and reduce the risk of arthritis in dogs. Being made with ingredients that are safe for your dog as well.
- Dasuquin with MSM by Nutramax: This supplement can be said to be an advanced version of what Nutramax offers in the Cosequin with additional ingredients such as avocado and soybean unsaponifiables which helps a lot in improving joint health.
- Hip & Hop soft chews by The anxious pet: These treats are for fussy dogs that refuse to take pills as the tasty treats come in peanut butter flavor.
- Vet Classics Joint Support Plus: This product by vet classics has ingredients such as sea cucumber, glucosamine sulfate e.t.c which are not available in other supplements and can help to increase joint health as well.
- Actistatin Canine Large Dogs Joint Chews: Joint Chews for large dogs are supposed to be different from generic ones. However, these joint chews are not recommended for dogs that are less than 30 pounds.
- Cetyl M Advanced dog joint action tablets: These supplements can be given to both larger dogs and smaller dogs with doses varying for both. The supplements come in chewable meat-flavored tablets.
- Liquid Health K9 Glucosamine: One of the few supplements out there that come in liquid form and is safe to give to dogs from an early age.
- Bixbi Hip and Joint dog treats: Beef or chicken-based dog treats that are loaded with Glucosamine and Chondroitin. The treats are perfect to basically treat your dog as well as give them the required supplements.
- NaturVet Senior Wellness Hip & Joint Advanced Soft Chews Plus Omegas: To promote cartilage health and reduce joint inflammation this could be a perfect option for house pets.
- Best CBD: ElleVet CBD + CBDA Chews: CBD has been used for years for treating dogs even though research results were inconclusive. However, in 2017 scientists suggested CBD oil can reduce joint inflammation better than most drugs on the market.
- Best Breed-Specific: WoofWell Health Supplement: All supplements do not work on all dogs. That is why WoofWell has come up with supplements that are Breed Specific.
- Best Flavored: Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Mobility Bites: Another variant of joint supplements that come in the form of chicken flavored tasty treats helping you to trick your dog.
- Best Gluten-Free: Fera Pet Organics Hip + Joint Support for Dogs: What could be better than supplements that are completely organic. These gluten-free supplements are enough to provide your dog with all the vitamins they need for the joints and also come in liver flavor.
- Liquid Health K9 Glucosamine Hip and Joint Formula: If your dog has a protein allergy then this supplement is for them, made with 100% vegetables while still providing all the required vitamins.
Joint supplements should be given to your dog even before the problem arises. As we have already mentioned supplements are not a cure for arthritis but only preventative measures. We hope this article was useful for you.